Saturday, January 31, 2009

Athens

I've been in Athens three days now. I usually don't stay in a city this long, but it is pretty nice knowing where everything is and having someplace to sleep at night. You know when you know kind of the way a building runs, the people in it and such? That's a big relief while traveling hostel-style.

Not that it's especially nice. You know those commercials in the US that are advertising some phone company? Something about dropped calls... anyway, there's one where there are the "techno twins" and the something about how a call was missed so they went to the wrong place. Basically, the message is that in hostels you run into the crazy European people who listen to techno all the time. I used to think that was ridiculous, because I'd never run into anything like that. Well... my neighbors are the techno twins. I woke up at 5AM this morning with blasting techno. That was fun.

Two nights I came back to someone sleeping in my bed. We still don't really know who it was. I ended up just asking for a different room for that night, just a bit worried about my things. I had a roommate today who was awesome. He came into the room and we just started talking about stuff. I think we talked for about three hours straight, and that was just the bulkiest part of the conversation. I don't think I've ever talked to someone so much in my life. The rest of the people in the hostel are... interesting. There's a Japanese roommate I have who's... odd. I think his friend was the one who took my bag. He's like, over-the-top friendly and doesn't really understand English well. There's also weird... noises I won't go into detail about, but ask me later if you're curious. Needless to say, I've never run into that in a hostel before.

Let's get on to the pictures.


Yesterday I walked around for a bit. It was raining, which was too bad, but I slept for a bit back at the hostel after getting drenched outside. (Why am I reading this in my head in an Aussie accent? hmm.... ) Anyway, the buildings look different here, at least in the nice parts of town. That's sort of a European thing I guess. I like it, but who wouldn't?


Two days ago I went to the seaside. At the time, I was having a hard time liking Athens and this cured it, for the most part. I like water a lot. I'm one of those people who just feels relaxed if around water. It wasn't even that nice of an area, but it I still had a good time. Don't mock me.

I also discovered how to use the remote on my camera my mom bought me for Christmas. Good work, Mom. I'll actually probably use this a lot. I may look a little silly, standing alone, smiling and posing several times, but whatever. I finally got a picture with me in it.

I like this one a bit better. Clearly by now I'm a bit more advanced in the technique of remote control picture composition.

If you look closely, there's a bird flying on the right side. That is no mistake. I waited for a long time to get a bird flying in the picture. There was also a couple standing on a rock just to the right of the frame. I had my camera pointed at them for quite awhile. They probably thought I was some creeper taking their picture. Oh well.


I took this while remembering that I wanted to get a picture of it to post on the blog, but I should get one that better exemplifies the graffiti in Athens. This city is a big coloring book. It's everywhere, on monuments, statues, parks, everything. I don't understand how more efforts aren't put up to stop this, but... what can you do, really? I guess it's not a big deal unless the images are obscene, which usually they're not. It just seems... I don't know.

I'm going here again in about an hour. I tried to go yesterday, but it was raining, and it wasn't free. I guess all the sites are free on Sundays. I learned this from my Aussie friend. I'm going to try to hit up all the sites that I missed, then go to Olympia tonight. I've heard really good things about Olympia. I guess we'll find out, though. If there's one thing I've learned about traveling like this, it's that nothing ever really goes as planned...

No comments: