Friday, February 13, 2009

Florence - First Look

I arrived in Florence today. Until about five or six at night, nothing really went as planned... and tended to be worse than expected. I could go into it, but it just involves the usual stuff (missed trains, full hostels, ran out of money, etc). Anyway, it ends well.

I'm in a hostel now that's great. They just repainted everything and actually gave me a key to the entire building. It feels nice to have a key. I don't know why. The hostel's pretty cool, too. It has one of those really old-style elevators with two doors and is made out of wood. The first time I went in one I was petrified and thought I was going to die. Then I got used to it and now rather enjoy it. It makes me feel like I'm in some 1930's movie. Tonight as I was coming back I noticed the doors to the building are gigantic. Seriously, they're like three times my size and made of solid wood. Behind that is another chain-like door which reminds me of a portcullis. I've decided from now on I'm going to pretend it's my castle and I am the king.

Speaking of having no friends, tomorrow is Valentine's Day. I'm in one of the most Romantic cities in the world on the most Romantic day of the year and I'm by myself. So sad... I think tomorrow I'll just go to sleep early so I don't have to think about it.

1 comment:

Book Look Column Author said...

You are part Italian so do what they do. Go out to a piazza and flirt with a girl. Ask her if you can buy her a gelato nearby. Just gelato, "because I am lonely and far from home..."I saw some Italian guys that were pro. Act the part - you can do that! Do it, and report back. check your email for info on San Polo too.